Nicole Miller was born in Lenox, Massachusetts, USA, in 1952. She grew up in Lennox, Massachusetts, USA. Her mother was French, and she was a Miss Fashion Plate in Paris in 1943. In the 60's, Nicole used to accompany her mother to London, where she wore dresses made by designer Mary Quant.
Nicole Miller studied at the Rhode Island School of Design. In her sophomore year, she also studied for a year in Paris at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture, to learn about haute couture.
She worked with Rain Cheetahs and Bud Konheim. She then launched her own womenswear label in 1982. In the early 1990's, she diversified into bridal gowns and accessories. She also has a menswear line and a fragrance line.
In August 1999, Nicole Miller entered into a partnership with the Cosmetics firm Metaleuca, and now offers a full line of skincare products.
In 2001, she started a Home collection including dinnerware in partnership with Fishs Eddy, which shows her whimsical nature.
Nicole Miller has an acute fashion sense, and is a hands-on designer who is actually there every step of the way during the design process. She is known for her work in prints and graphics.
She now has 30 freestanding boutiques across the United States and about 20 licensees for her handbags, shoes, eyewear, fragrances, cosmetics and childrens wear. She has 16 boutiques in Japan. In 2003 she launched her sportswear line Miller Girl, and is now planning a new home furnishing line as well as a book on cuisine and entertaining.
Nicole has faced severe problems in 2002 with attacks from activists of the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) who feel that she is encouraging the use of fur. She is very angry about it and says "we are a silk dress house, I have no fur license, I feel I am being harassed."
Are you my Type?
Blood type that is - Nicole has created an exclusive limited edition T-shirt for the American Red Cross Save a Life Tour 2003. The T shirt will be available to blood donors, coporations and VIP's during the tour.
- Nicole Miller's Spring collection was shown during New York Fashion Week in September 2003.
- She was celebrating her 20th anniversary in fashion. The show paraded her usual elegant sophisticated womenswear for a clientele which includes Jennifer Aniston and the Clintons.
- The Fall collection was shown during New York Fashion Week in February 2004.
- In May 2004, it was announced that Nicole is launching a kids wear line organised by the Sesame Workshop, the non-profit group behind Sesame Street. This show is a favourite of her daughter born in 1996. It is the first time Sesame Workshop has ever licensed a fashion designer.
- During New York Fashion Week in September 2004, Nicole Miller presented her Spring collection. The show was her usual elegant and sophisticated mix of day and evening dresses
- She was inspired by the Celtic culture taking ideas from mythology and pageantry, and translating it to modern silhouettes. Using halter dress with gold silk borders, nude jersey with gold beading and tulle skirt, and beaded ivory cashmere sweaters, she made a delightful collection as always. Celtic signs and symbols were transformed into contemporary looks.